Monday, October 13, 2014

Fwd: Letter #80 - 10/13/14

Here is her last letter to "the world."  Enjoy!
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Montgomery <elizabeth.montgomery@myldsmail.net>
Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Subject: Letter #80 - 10/13/14
To: Christine Montgomery <chrismont9@gmail.com>


Dear family and friends,

My bags are packed, the plans are set, and two days from now I close the most incredible chapter of my life and begin a new one. Earlier I said I was excited, but this week the rest of the roller coaster of emotions caught up with me, and I've been all over the place.

If you're wondering what I'll miss about being a missionary, look back at my list, "Why it's an honor to serve a mission." There are actually a lot of those things that will carry over after the mission (at least I'll make them carry over), but as a whole and in such a quantity and quality, nothing compares to a full-time mission. If you're wondering what I'll miss about Ukraine, well... I don't think I could write a list like that for fear of crying in the presence of this teenage-boy-Internet-cafe audience. This is a blessed land with blessed people, and it has won my heart.

But... I'm still excited. :) I get to see my amazing family again and start another incredible chapter in my life (which wouldn't be nearly as incredible had I skipped this one). Recently I was reading in Ether and found these very applicable verses that describe what will most likely happen on Wednesday: "And thus [I was] driven forth, [five hundred and sixty eight] days upon [a mission]. And [I] did land upon the [terminal] of the [Denver airport]. And when [I] had set [my] feet upon the [terminal] of the [Denver airport]... [I did] shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over [me]" (Ether 6:11-12). That's one thing I can't get over: gratitude. It's the emotion that I keep coming back to over and over again: so much gratitude. :)

Well, I've only got a few minutes left, but I'll share with you my final testimony. In the words of Joseph Smith: "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of [Jesus Christ], this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father— That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God" (D&C 76:22-24).

Brothers and sisters, Jesus Christ lives! I have seen Him, not on the right hand of God but in the lives of so many people who have accepted Him as their Savior and have been changed by His grace. I have heard the voice of the Spirit bearing record on busy streets and crowded buses, in humble homes and rented church buildings, that He is the Only Begotten of the Father, the Redeemer of all mankind. He suffered, was crucified, and resurrected so that we could obtain peace in this world and eternal life in the world to come if we follow Him. He called Joseph Smith to restore His Church and bring forth more of His word, the Book of Mormon, and today He leads the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I know this, and I hope with all my heart that anyone reading these words will also do whatever is necessary to come to know this for themselves through the Holy Spirit of God.

God be with you till we meet again!

With so much love and gratitude,
Sister Montgomery