Monday, February 3, 2014

Fwd: Letter #44 - 2/3/14



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Montgomery <elizabeth.montgomery@myldsmail.net>
Date: Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Subject: Letter #44 - 2/3/14
To: Christine Montgomery <chrismont9@gmail.com>


Hey fam! Well, what's new around here? It's been RIDICULOUSLY cold this past week (apparently even the Ukrainians thought it was cold... which means it was cold for real). I honestly think that if you do an autopsy of an average American and an average Ukrainian/Russian, you will find that a Ukrainian's skin is at least twice as thick (or twice as strong some other way). Seriously, I don't know how they handle it. I was in Chernigov on exchanges when I heard it was -33 degrees Celsius (-27 Farenheit). If I'm talking with someone outside, I manage to get by without even realizing I'm cold, but as soon as the conversation ends, I become painfully aware that I can't feel my limbs... But no worries, the cold snap is over and it'll be "warm" again this week.

Work has been slow this past week. We don't really have investigators right now (just a bunch of potentials), but we've had some great member lessons. It's Sister Hunsaker's last few days, so we're going around visiting her "favorites" before she heads out. (Good thing I've got six weeks to say all my goodbyes!) We also gave a lesson in Relief Society yesterday about charity (including some of my thoughts in last week's letter) that went super well.

Oh, I forgot! We met the coolest family ever! And since the Elders are leaving on Wednesday, they passed them to us (me). :) The mom and dad are Viktor and Alina, and they've got four kids, ages 6, 4, 2, and 6 months, who are SO cute. Viktor has been reading the Bible for like 20 years and has been searching for truth, but he hasn't found a church yet that matches what he knows from the Bible. We (the Elders and us) had SUCH a great lesson with them... they are seriously amazing. And get this -- their apartment has only a tiny kitchen, a tiny bathroom, a tiny hallway, and one room that's probably 10 ft x 20 ft. And yet they are so happy and grateful, it's incredible. The bishop already bought them a heater and we'll continue to serve and teach them. God truly is preparing the hearts of people to receive the fullness of the gospel, and I'm so looking forward to offering Viktor and his family the truth that they've been searching for.

I've got like five minutes for a spiritual thought before going to FHE with the Klebingats and Alisa (something else I'm looking forward to). Umm... nothing is coming to me, so I'm going to cheat and copy and paste something I once wrote a friend of mine who sent it back to me this week: "I guess the thing I’m still learning and putting into practice is the eternal truth that God’s way really is the best way, and to try to do otherwise is just kicking against the pricks and hurting myself. The things the Holy Ghost is telling me—sins to cast off, characteristics to develop, and so on—are really hard for me, and obeying those promptings really kind of scares me. But deep down I know that 100% consecration to my God will result in 100% joy and fulfillment in my life." Yep... couldn't have said it better myself.

K, love you all! Have a great week, and keep giving yourself to the Lord!

Love,
Sister Montgomery